.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Addai of Alexandria

Blog is currently going through some serious revision.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

While talking on "the ooze" discussion board concerning the Bible (in terms of it being inerrant, and being "All we really need"), I happened along this article. Since I was arguing against this kind of thinking.



Christianity is NOT a Book-religion


"As Christians today, coming as many of us do out of a Protestant tradition of biblicism, it is important that we keep our perspective properly focused on the Person of Jesus Christ, not just on Bible-learning. Jesus Christ is the Truth, not mere propositional truths contained in ever-evolving semantics.
Our faith is not in the Bible. Our hope is not in the Bible. Our love is not love for the Bible. Our faith, hope and love are in Jesus Christ.
Our base of authority is not in the Bible, as has often been projected by popular Protestantism, the "religion of the Book." Our base of authority is in Jesus Christ, who said, "All authority is given to Me, in heaven and upon earth" (Matthew 28:18).
Our security is not in the Bible. Many seem to base their security on Bible promises and propositions, on Bible formulas, procedures and techniques. Our security is founded on a vital, dynamic on-going personal relationship with the Living Lord Jesus Christ. I am assured and secure in the reality that God is expressive in my life by Jesus Christ. I know it, not because the Bible makes a statement ("the Bible tells me so") or gives me a procedure. I know it (Him) because the eternal life and eternal expression of Jesus Christ is functioning in my life. This is not mere experiential existentialism. Somewhere between the extremes of objective biblicism and subjective existentialism is the reality of the functional Life of Jesus Christ in man."

http://www.christinyou.net/pages/Xnotbrel.html



I think it's a good article. Written by some kind of Protestant evangelical. And seems to summurize a number of my objections to this kind of thinking. I do have some fine points of difference (Especially in its focusing purely on Jesus when defining what Christianity is. I would argue that Christ is the head of the Church, but Christianity is not only about Jesus, Salvation etc. but also about the nature of the Church, "The Kingdom of God etc." And I have a few other quibbles (like in one area the author, seems to suggest that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit, rather than God the Father).

But anyway it is an articulate exposition on Bibliodolatry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home