.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Addai of Alexandria

Blog is currently going through some serious revision.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Prayer Chosen over heresy

Prayer will be the opening topic for Ipod. I had been considering a number of topics. My best friend was pushing hard for "Early Church Heresies". Because he knows I love to talk about, especially when talking about current doctrinal controversies. The heresy thing, while cool I think is a bit limmiting. I don't like the idea of doing something nearly all for entertainment sake. (His reasoning was based mostly on the intrigue and mass appeal). Besides there is a Coptic rule of iconography that I think applies. It states that if evil is to be depicted in an icon it must be seen "only in profile". So in other words, the devil and other evil figures don't get a full "face shot", only Jesus and the various saints. Why? Because it is considered that evil isn't something that you should spend a lot of time meditating on. Like that verse from the Bible says.

Philippians 4:8[ Meditate on These Things ] Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

So anyway I decide to not do heresy, mostly that I didn't want to start things out "on a bad foot" (of negativity). But what was thinking of a few different topics. The two topics that were considered A) "Spiritual Renewal in the Eastern Christian Tradition" and B) "The Faith Once Delivered to the Saints (Apostolic/ Holy Tradition).

Both were very attractive. Topic A) because I think it's edifying (but also what people really are asking about B) is good because this really is the foundation of most Apologetics arguments (especially the ones that I have gotten into with Protestants the last 3 plus years).

Anyway I chose prayer after recalling that one saying from a saint, that said "That all great theolgian are men of prayer. And everyman who prays is a theologian". There was also a good book written by a Coptic priest/monk on the subject, so that was another factor. And I will talk about that tomorrow....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home