.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Addai of Alexandria

Blog is currently going through some serious revision.

Thursday, April 06, 2006


Essen Sie koptisches?

( lol that translation coutesy of babel fish)


I've been wanting to do something foody lately. And was going to do something creative with Lenten cuisine. My actual

intention was going to take some dishes from my father's native Slovakia and Coptify them for Lent. But that didn't work out so good, because Czechs and Slovaks apparently like putting animal products into just about everything... even "vegetable soup". (Although you can sort of do a Lenten Strogannoff by using hummus or tahini in place of sour creme), but that project right now est kaput!

So I'm doing the easy thing showing a little Egyptian lenten food, food that maybe a little different than Antiochian and EO fare. Like this dish, above

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/koshary.htm

and let say probably a few other dishes that we eat that are unique, or probably wouldn't fit EO rules. Falafel is big since we don't have a rule against using oil during fasts. I have to admit falafel is one of those really good fasting foods, when you consider how boring and mediocre your average hamburger or meat sandwhich can be...

and then you got "Fuul". This recipe looks better than some I've seen online, except for the fact the lady has eggs in it, which is a "no, no".

http://egyptmonth.com/mag03012001/mag5.htm

And then you got baked goods. Actually the Egyptians do pretty good here, because I think they naturally make a fair amount of baked goodies without any animal products, not sure why this is exactly. But I it could possibly due to some of the Muslim food customs (Which are very similar to kosher), and they pick up some of the recipes that come out of that culture.

They got these cookies at church that one of the old ladies sells as a church fundraiser,that are really good, they are a kind of cresent shaped farina dough thing, stuffed with a date filling. I don't know the name of those yet, but I tend to buy them whenever I get the chance.

And then you got "Kanafa", which is described by one web site "Kanafa is a dish of batter "strings" fried on a hot grill and stuffed with nuts, meats, or sweets." (It looks to me like some kind of baklava coconut dish).

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I had to eat out last night on the way to the airport and did the falafel/hummus thing. I can say I'm truly falafel'ed out! But since I got a falafel plate, there was also tabouli and that added some variety and vitamins (lots of parsley).

8:46 AM  
Blogger Addai said...

lol
well today is Annuciation feast day, so its ok to eat early. Not a regular fast day. :)

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home