.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Addai of Alexandria

Blog is currently going through some serious revision.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Splitting the Blog


I am seriously considering adding a new Blog. The basic idea is that I've been disillusioned with one web board that I was a frequent participant of. While I'm not completey giving up on it, I really gives me the impetus to crank away on more solo projects. Which I think can be a lot more substantive than what is typically found in cyberspace.


Anyway the idea is to spin this blog more in the area of serious study and discussion of the Bible, Liturgy, Church Fathers, Liturgy, doctrine, Church history, and the alike.


And then have another Blog which talks specifically about contemporary issues both in Orthodox and in the general American Evangelical climate.

So the basic idea is to try to add more substance to what is typically out there. As well as some more lasting material. One thing I've noticed about participating on a message board. It's like you can give the most brilliant well thought out presentation on something. And then someone new comes along.... And they bring up all the old issues you previously addressed. So there can be a lot of "wash" rinse" "repeat". Where it's almost like things said evaporate into thin air (unless you want to necro and copy and paste those old bits of wisdom which I often do). Anyway I like the fact that on Blogs each post gets saved and spidered seperately so I think there is more of a lasting influence on anything you do. So with that I think I'm going to take my blogging more in a serious direction. Not in the sense of being unfun, but in the sense of putting much more thought and work into it. Instead of the "Oh I found this new Coptic, or Orthodox thing! Isn't it neat!" way of doing things before.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.squarespace.com, brother.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Addai said...

Well Stan is really looking at Joomla.

I suppose maybe I should hold off till then. One thing I really want to do is start recording sermons and music and put it on the web.

I have an ipod in my future. Anyway I see myself really wanting to add not only my own content, but I really want to start archiving and hosting stuff from church as well. But I've held off on that to keep expenses down.

But I think this sort of thing "is the next step"

9:41 AM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

Don't know if you'd consider a plus or a minus but I'd participate...

LYB

lol

Seraphim

12:22 PM  
Blogger Addai said...

Glad to hear it.

Actually stan was talking about a joomla site where you would have different areas or boards. Where each one would have its own area theme host. So there an Alexandrian section, one for you, one for his church stuff, A deacon Raphael section, etc.

So its like a neighborhood, community where each person ends up being a kind of moderator and content adder developer. I actually think that a good idea, and might make a good ooze alternative for folks who are put off by some of the excess there.


Of course another could be simply be a blog like I suggested, but maybe have multiple admins. That something that could be done immediately. This does make me think about looking at joomla again as well as the place Jim recommended.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, starting a new blog sounds cool to me. Give me a heads up if to decide to do it.
-KIR-

5:57 PM  
Blogger Addai said...

Glad to see ya keeping it real!

I think it would probably would be a good stop gap solution. The more elegant solution is to have an integrated web site, complete with message boards. Downloadable files, for lets say sermons, music, etc. I'm leaning towards that as a kind of future plan.


Of course I'm not a techy. So I'm inclined to hop on Stan bandwagon and use whatever solution he is going to be doing. Since he is my on the spot techy and he wants to do it for his own ministry.


So I guess the plan would be start another one. And then hopfully integrate it over to a nice deluxe joomla site. Ok now to go back to thinking up a blog name and format...

Thanks!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home